Billing and Collections Policy Summary
Great River Health System includes all services provided by Great River
Medical Center and Great River Physicians and Clinics.
Who is the guarantor?
The guarantor is the person responsible for paying the bill.
Patient under 18 –The guarantor is the parent who was present at
the time of service.
Great River Health System does not take into consideration divorce decrees
or other legal documentation regarding custody or parental responsibility
in relation to children.
- Patient 18 or over –The patient is the guarantor unless he or she
is considered a dependent of someone else.
- Deceased spouse – Spouse if the guarantor
- Other – Anyone other than those listed above in cases of third-party
party liabilities or Workers Compensation
Great River Health System will file medical health insurance claims for
patients if the guarantor provides insurance information within 45 days.
If this information is not provided during this time,
the full balance could become the responsibility of the guarantor.
We must have a signed Assignment of Benefits or Conditions of Treatment
document. In some cases, insurance cannot be billed without the signed
form. If the required form is not signed at the time of service, we will
make two attempts to acquire a signed document.
If the document is not obtained the balance could become the responsibility
of the guarantor.
Statements are issued when the guarantor is responsible for the balance.
The first statement is itemized. Subsequent balance-forward statements
are issued every 30 days.
Payment in full is required at the end of the 12th month from the date
of the first statement. Payment plans for balances paid in 12 months:
- Balances of $300 or less – $25 minimum monthly payment or the balance
divided by the number of months available for a payment plan from the
first statement date.
- Balances over $300 – balance divided by the number of months available
for a payment plan from the first statement date.
If the balance is not paid in full at end of 12th month:
- The guarantor will use other resources to pay the balance in full.
- The balance could be turned to an outside collection agency. This includes
accounts that are being paid on but not meeting the required payment term above.
Automated payments will not be set up in our payment solutions system unless
the terms of the automated payment plan meet the requirements of our policy.
Other patient resources
- Medical Expense Loan program. Ask us for a brochure with details.
- CareCredit Financing
Great River Health System’s
Financial Assistance Program.
Use of a collection agency
We will turn accounts to an outside collections agency if:
- We receive no payment on balances 120 days from the first statement dates.
This includes balances in which insurance was not provided in a timely manner.
- Payments are being made but not according to the terms above and the balance
is not paid in full at the end of the 12th month.
To speak to a Great River Health System financial counselor, please call
319-768-3625, option 2.