In recognition of National Breastfeeding Month in August, Great River Health
Systems is sponsoring a walk and selling T-shirts to raise awareness about
the importance of breastfeeding. Proceeds will be used to purchase donor
milk from Mother’s Milk Bank of Iowa. Donor milk is used at Great
River Medical Center by newborns with special needs and those who need
supplemental milk while their mothers are breastfeeding.
The walk is scheduled from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 13, around Great
River Health Systems’ lake. It will include:
- Information about services for women and infants
- Dunk tank, three balls for $2
- Door-prize drawing, 10:45 a.m.
- Free refreshments
Some benefits of breastfeeding are:
- Breastfed babies are less likely to develop asthma.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of sudden infant death syndrome.
- Children who are breastfed for six months are less likely to become obese.
- Breastfeeding protects babies from illnesses including diarrhea, ear infections
- Mothers who breastfeed have a decreased risk of breast and ovarian cancers.
HERE for the walk registration and T-shirt order form. The deadline for T-shirt
orders is Wednesday, July 27.