Great River Health System Living Clinic
Great River Health System Living Clinic is a physician-supervised clinic
that helps people lose weight and regain control of their lives. Effective
weight management through long-term changes in lifestyle behaviors can
help improve diabetes, heart disease and other obesity-related conditions.
Operation Transformation is a six-month program that addresses metabolic
syndrome. It combines Mediterranean-style eating and a progressive exercise
program to meet your health goals. The diet incorporates lean proteins,
vegetables, fruits, dairy and whole grains to promote long-term weight
loss. The initial appointment with Healthy Living Clinic Director Michael
AbouAssaly, MD, begins with a one-hour group session explaining the components
of the program. After the session, Dr. AbouAssaly meets with patients
individually for a medical assessment that includes a brief physical,
blood work (if needed) and bicep, chest, hip, thigh and waist measurements.
What is metabolic syndrome?
Metabolic syndrome is a group of conditions including abdominal obesity,
high blood pressure, impaired fasting glucose levels and high cholesterol
or triglyceride levels.
Signs of metabolic syndrome include:
- Blood pressure greater than 130/85
- HDL cholesterol: men lower than 40 mg/dL; women lower than 50 mg/dL
- High blood sugar of 110 mg/dL or greater after fasting
- High triglycerides greater than 150 mg/dL
- Waist circumference: men greater than 40 inches; women greater than 35 inches
Check with your primary-care provider to determine your risks for metabolic
syndrome and get a referral to Operation Transformation.
- Initial group appointment and three follow-up appointments at one, three
and six months
- Progressive exercise plan
- Nutrition guidance
- Bi-weekly educational sessions and cooking demonstrations
- Weekly weigh-ins
- Pre- and post-program body composition and circumference measurements
Most insurance programs are accepted. Check with your provider to determine
your level of coverage.